Re: [exim] Re: [exim-dev] buffer overflow?

Autor: Tabor J. Wells
A: Subhi S Hashwa
CC: Exim Users Mailing List, peter, Peter Bowyer
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Re: [exim-dev] buffer overflow?
Subhi S Hashwa wrote:

> I get loads of rejected rubbish incoming connections but this one is
>
>by far the most unusual and most likely serious.

Sound to me like exim might be getting confused about what file
descriptors are in use.
Perhaps something relating to:

75. A backgrounded daemon closed stdin/stdout/stderr on entry; this
meant that
    those file descriptors could be used for SMTP connections. If anything
    wrote to stderr (the example that came up was "warn" in embedded
Perl), it
    could be sent to the SMTP client, causing chaos. The daemon now opens
    stdin, stdout, and stderr to /dev/null when it puts itself into the
    background.

in exim 4.50 is not behaving properly on fbsd 4.10?

I would think /etc/group and /etc/services could be read by exim as part
of its normal operation and for whatever reason this connection is
getting corrupted. Are you seeing this with any other connections? Does
the problem go away if you downgrade to exim 4.44?

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality