Re: [exim] Use of anomy-sanitizer

Author: TNET Services, Inc.
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Use of anomy-sanitizer
I don't think that it is really all that necessary to add a lot more
checking software.

We (the companies I work for) don't have a virus problem because we
simply don't pass on the virus carrying capable attachments. That has
been the key to our virus protection.

You might not be able to do that, but for the various different mail
servers that I run, from small non-profits to one large corp... it is
the rule and it is very effective.

We have not had a single virus email incident going on two years now
as a result.

We use a combination of Exim, ClamAV, Spam Assassin and a number of
server checks when mail arrives. We don't allow certain types of
attachments like scr pif exe com cmd or bat and a whole host of lesser
encountered ones as well.

While ClamAV does catch some stuff occassionally, most of it html
stuff, but none of the real viruses are getting through.

We do protect all desktops with network distributed AntiVirus software
as well since the chance of a virus coming in via diskette, thumbdrive
etc is still there..

I spend very little of my daily time watching and adjusting the mail
servers now which is a good thing since I'm swamped doing other stuff.

For the large corp... the parent company and other sibling sister co's
are constantly getting hit by this or that.... but it dies dead in its
tracks when it attempts to come in via email to us. We only allow
mail connections even from sister co's via our outside mail servers
which check everything before coming in the door.

We have offered to help them setup a similar type system, but for some
reason they think that they must spend money for real mail protection.

The funny thing is that they spend thousands of dollars on various
different software products and who knows how much tech time playing
with this stuff chasing virus this and virus that, while we sit with
the largest hunk of users than all of them combined with a zero cost
solution that simply just plain works with no real tech time spend on
virus issues.

Exim is very cool...