RE: [exim] $primary_hostname and $smtp_active_hostname

Author: Eli
To: 'Daniel Tiefnig', exim-users
CC:
Subject: RE: [exim] $primary_hostname and $smtp_active_hostname
Daniel wrote:
> I don't think so. $smtp_active_hostname will not change
> $primary_hostname in any way, it's just a possibility to set the local
> hosts hostname to something else than $primary_hostname in SMTP
> respond with different hostnames on different interfaces.

Oh, I knew that is what it was for - I remember when the feature was
discussed and I was happy to see it get added, as I could see myself using
this feature. I was just wondering if both variables end up with the same
value or not because I see many more uses for $smtp_active_hostname than
*JUST* in the HELO greeting. The way the documentation reads (to me) it
sounds as though both $primary_hostname and $smtp_active_hostname would end
up carrying the same value all the time. If they don't, that's better as I
see needs to keep the values separate.

For full out "virtual mail hosting" (or whatever you want to call it), you
may want the hostname in the Received: lines to be $smtp_active_hostname, as
well as Message-ID: headers if generated locally. There could be other
values that use $primary_hostname right now that could be changed to
$smtp_active_hostname.

That's all I was saying - I was wondering why the change was made to just
the smtp_banner and not everywhere if this was the use for it - changing it
everywhere shouldn't cause any side effects since $smtp_active_hostname is
apparently saved the entire lifetime of the message.

Eli.