Re: [exim] Running exim on a cluster-filesystem

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Running exim on a cluster-filesystem
On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 17:35 +0100, Patrick von der Hagen wrote:
> Marc Perkel wrote:
> > I've had good luck using the reiser filesystem with exim spool
> > directories because it is very fast when it comes to dealing with
> > directories with a lot of files. I think it will be even faster than
> > splitspool.
> Well, certainly. But reiserfs is no clusterfilesystem and will go BANG
> if several hosts access it concurrently.

reiser can go BANG with just one host accessing it.

How are things if you give each system its own separate spool directory
in the same directory tree? If that still gives you poor scaling
characteristics then you are maxing out the filesystem and theres not a
lot you can do. [And if that method does give you a speedup then you
could just run with it - if you lose a box you just fire up a queue
runner with a config file that changes the spool dir]

You may also want to investigate the facilities for running multiple
systems off the same spool dir (no I can't remember the right keyword
for it), but there was a way of splitting stuff based on one of the
fields within the spool filename.

What filesystem is it you use?

    Nigel.