Re: [exim] forward non local users to other server

Author: Marc Sherman
To: eli-list
CC: exim-users, 'Matthias Läßig'
Subject: Re: [exim] forward non local users to other server
Eli wrote:

> Quite possible indeed, however your configuration for Exim will highly
> depend on how you store your users in MySQL. I assume if you have gotten
> that far that you have something in your RCPT ACLs that checks for local
> users or not - you need simply extend that to have Exim also accept RCPTs
> for the remaining domains you haven't migrated. Several options are at your
> disposal, such as a simple domain name check, or looking at MX records,
> etc...
>
> At routing time, if the user isn't in MySQL, pass it to another router that
> uses manualroute or something to do a smarthost type set up.

An easier/cleaner solution might be to first put all users in the MySQL
database, with a column indicating which server their email is currently
handled by. You can have exim route the mail according to that column,
and as you migrate users, just change the value in that column.

That way, you don't need to worry about callouts for recipient
verification or anything like that to avoid backscatter when spam is
sent to non-existant users.

- Marc