RE: [exim] forward non local users to other server

Author: Eli
To: 'Matthias Läßig', exim-users
CC:
Subject: RE: [exim] forward non local users to other server
Matthias wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a very special problem and I hope somebody on the list
> could help me out.
> I'm in the middle of a migration from SuSE E-Mail server to a
> homebuilt system using exim and mysql authentication.
>
> The problem is, that I am unable to move all users at once -
> so I want to do something like "if you can't find the user
> for this domian locally, forward the incoming mail to another
> host using smtp". I guess it's pretty simple, but still I've
> not found a solution.

Quite possible indeed, however your configuration for Exim will highly
depend on how you store your users in MySQL. I assume if you have gotten
that far that you have something in your RCPT ACLs that checks for local
users or not - you need simply extend that to have Exim also accept RCPTs
for the remaining domains you haven't migrated. Several options are at your
disposal, such as a simple domain name check, or looking at MX records,
etc...

At routing time, if the user isn't in MySQL, pass it to another router that
uses manualroute or something to do a smarthost type set up.

All the information you should need is in the Exim documentation - just
needs a bit of looking through it to get what you need.

Eli.