RE: [exim] [Debian issue #244724] exim 4 uses double reverse…

Author: Eli
To: 'Marc Haber', exim-users
CC:
Subject: RE: [exim] [Debian issue #244724] exim 4 uses double reverse lookupforindexing into client password file
Marc wrote:
> Our outbound SMTP smarthost transport has
> |hosts_try_auth = ${if exists
> |{CONFDIR/passwd.client}{smarthost.fqdn.example}

Ok... What router did this come through? I bet it came through a
"dnslookup" router, correct? If so, please refer to how dnslookup routers
function. They do DNS lookups to find out the MX server to deliver a
message to. Once the DNS lookup is performed and the resulting MX (or
should there be none, the A record for the host) is retreived, that record
is now considered the mail server that should receive the message.

It is then (after finishing with the router) passed to your smtp transport
(I assume) for delivery. At this stage, you're assuming that the mail
server is what "some guy in tech support" gave you - but it isn't. Exim
doesn't know about all the aliases a mail sever could have - it just knows
what the dnslookup router gave it, which is unfortunately not what 1&1 gave
the user.

They have two choices here:

1) modify their passwd.client file and store the correct MX record for their
domain.
2) do not use dnslookup router and instead use manualroute router (though
they then have to specify exactly what hosts will route using this)

I hope this explains the behaviour... And closes this bug report.

"Everybody gets one." - SpiderMan

Eli.