Re: [exim] verify = header_sender

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Marilyn Davis
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] verify = header_sender
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Marilyn Davis wrote:

> > I don't immediately see how it works in the routers. Does it work the
> > same as "verify = sender"? If I have a router with
> > "verify_sender_only" set, will "verify = header_sender" go there?
>
> Ooops. Rather, if my router has: verify_sender = no, will
> header_sender verification try that router?

I had, in fact, (on a double-take) understood that that was what you
were asking... the answer is "no".

> Now I have a router just for verifying the envelope sender, and one
> just for verifying recipients. I'd like to verify the header_sender
> in an ACL but I want that to be another special router. Can I arrange
> that?

I'm afraid not.

> When verify = header_sender is happening, if a Reply-To: address can't
> be verified, will it then try to verify the From: address?
>
> I don't seem to find any info in the regular places.

verify = header_sender/<options>

   This condition is relevant only in an ACL that is run after a message
   has been received, that is, in an ACL specified by "acl_smtp_data" or       |
   "acl_not_smtp". It checks that there is a verifiable address in at least    |
   one of the Sender:, Reply-To:, or From: header lines. Such an address is    |
   loosely thought of as a 'sender' address (hence the name of the test).      |

(That's from the 4.50 manual.) So the answer is "yes".