Re: [exim] Port 465/587 revisited

Autor: Jakob Hirsch
A: 'Exim-users'
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Port 465/587 revisited
Michael Johnson wrote:

> In trying to implement this, I've run into a complication. I can't
> send mail using this method. I don't get a greeting message/banner and
> it doesn't seem to be able to authenticate me.

Does your mail client support SSL (without STARTTLS)? Because that's
what the smtps port is for, just like https, pop3s, imaps ...
Some clients only support TLS (start with plain smtp, then do STARTTLS).
In this case you should use port 587 (submission).

> [smudette:~] michael% telnet mail 465
> Trying 69.17.37.194...
> Connected to smudo.emjay.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
>
> That's it...even after a minute of waiting. Nothing after the initial
> connection. No greeting message/banner.

openssl s_client -connect mail:465