Re: [exim] Port 465/587 revisited

Autor: Michael Johnson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Port 465/587 revisited
On 23 Feb, 2005, at 7:41:09. 0 PM, Barry Pederson wrote:

> Fred Viles wrote:
>> On 23 Feb 2005 at 15:44, Bob Tanner wrote about
>>     "[exim] Port 465/587 revisited":
>> |
>> http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-
>> Mon-20040426/070559.html
>> above url | still the recommended solution?
>> Not quite.
>> | Quoted before for people not wanting to hit the url:
>> |     >
>> |     > Run an additional daemon with
>> |     > exim -tls-on-connect -oX 587 -bd
>> this. The standard
>> |     message submission port should not use -tls-on-connect.
>> Since 4.43, it is not necessary to run an additional daemon.  You
>> can use
>>     tls_on_connect_ports = 465
>> to specify smtps on port 465 (only).

> You also have to *listen* to port 465, in addition to specifying that
> you want TLS-on-connect with it - so you need two things in your
> config to get port 465 and 25 working at the same time with a single
> daemon:
>
>    daemon_smtp_port = 25:465
>    tls_on_connect_ports = 465

In trying to implement this, I've run into a complication. I can't
send mail using this method. I don't get a greeting message/banner and
it doesn't seem to be able to authenticate me.

When I submit on 25, it's fine. When I try to submit on 465, it fails.

I'm using 4.43 against a MySQL db as outlined at:

<http://maxo.captainnet.net/installs/mailserver/>

I added the two lines shown above to my configure file and restarted
the daemon. When I telnet to the machine on 25, I get:

[smudette:~] michael% telnet mail smtp
Trying 69.17.37.194...
Connected to smudo.emjay.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.emjay.net ESMTP Exim 4.43 Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:13:20 -0500

When I telnet on 465, I get:

[smudette:~] michael% telnet mail 465
Trying 69.17.37.194...
Connected to smudo.emjay.net.
Escape character is '^]'.

That's it...even after a minute of waiting. Nothing after the initial
connection. No greeting message/banner.

What am I missing?

-Michael

Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in
their pleasure takes joy, even as though t'were his own.
                     --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe