Re: [exim] TYhe Evolution of Spammers

Author: Richard Clayton
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] TYhe Evolution of Spammers
<marc@???> writes

>If a spammer has 10,000 computers - why would they need to relay through
>my computer?

Last week I saw an entirely genuine email going through one of the
servers where I'm involved in monitoring the logs for signs of
abuse.... this one email had just over 6300 destinations. That's
providing a significant amplification effect on incoming email
volumes. More normal factors would be 40 or so per message...

Of course your FUSSP may refuse to handle such email (obOnTopic: Exim
itself handled the email with 6300+ destinations just fine) but real
operational systems have to think carefully about blocking customer
email on such grounds as "a lot of destinations" without considerable
friction with those paying for a service :(

- --
richard                                              Richard Clayton

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.         Benjamin Franklin