Re: [exim] 5 Minute Penalty Box

Autor: Marc Perkel
A: Ian Eiloart
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] 5 Minute Penalty Box

Ian Eiloart wrote:

> --On February 18, 2005 16:56:54 -0800 Marc Perkel <marc@???>
> wrote:
>
>> Penalty box is different than greylisting in that everyone is innocent
>> until proven guilty. They get one shot and if they sin - then they are
>> penalized for a period of time. The main focus are offenders who keep at
>> it and increase server load.
>

> I was somewhat confused by the term "penalty-box". Apparently it has
> very different meanings in different sports. In football (proper
> football played with feet, that is) a penalty box is an area on a the
> pitch where a penalty kick is awarded if a foul is committed.
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_area>
>
> What's referred to as a penalty-box in ice-hockey is known as a
> sin-bin in the UK. It's used in rugby, for example.
> <http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/sin-bin>
>
> Is the term sin-bin also used in ice-hockey? If so, then it might be a
> better (less ambiguous) term for this technique.

It's the hockey form of the word. The idea is that if a sender sends one
spam they are likely to send the same spam to a lot more people in a
short period of time. And - as you know - spam assassin uses a lot of
resources. So - instead of accepting the same spam over and over and
letting spam assassin reject it over and over I send the spammer temp
errors for the next 5 minutes and it stops the spam and reduces system load.

--
Marc Perkel - marc@???

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com