Re: [exim] Re: Thoughts on Open Relays

Author: Marc Perkel
To: peter
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Thoughts on Open Relays

Peter Bowyer wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:49:39 +0100, Michelle Konzack
><linux4michelle@???> wrote:
>

>>Hello Marc,
>>
>>Am 2005-02-20 22:29:42, schrieb Marc Perkel:
>>

>>>Well - I'm in the process of blocking open relay tests so that they
>>>can't detect that I'm open.
>>>

>>How do you want to do that ?
>>

>I think a better question would be 'why do you want to do that?'.

Mostly just as a public service. I know people who travel and every now
and then they can't send mail because the server they expect to connect
to is down and they need to connect to something just to get sme email
out. It ised to be back in the good ole day that you could connect to
any smtp server to send email. That was before spam. But - I'm at the
point with my spam filter where I can block 100% of spam that would be
sent through an unprotected open relay and eliminate the problem that
eliminated open relays in the first place.

My spam filter is near 100% accurate at this point. Over 99.9% in false
negatives. And the very few spammers who get through an occasional spam
are not the spammers who take advantage of open relays.

I would have extra precaitions on this.

First - it would have a lower scoring threshhold that my regular spam
filter.
And - I would only allow one message per minute from any one IP address.
To spammers - this server will appear closed.

So - if a server is open but passes 0 spam - what's the harm?

--
Marc Perkel - marc@???

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com