Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim

Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 03:59:42 +0800, Bill Hacker <wbh@???>
wrote:
>Marc Haber wrote:
>> How would local processes (syslog rotation and automatic updating
>> engines come to mind) send e-mail on a MTA-less system?
>>
>Why should they be allowed to do so on a laptop, personal PC, or other
>device connected to a dialup or 'allocated portable' (ADSL, etc) IP?
>
>Where, pray tell, do they send it?

To a local mailbox.

>All of the messages you mention will sit quite comfortably on the box
>and are easily read if/as/when needed with 'less', 'tail', or 'grep' if
>you are looking or something specific.

Where will they sit if the application expects to dump them to
/usr/sbin/sendmail?

>I am sure Debian is also used for 'production' servers, but those should
>have a 'proper' Exim installation - not some hack to keep script-kiddies
>from having to RTFM.

Which is why we offer a vast multitude of different ways to do it.

>> The UNIX default install of Exim listens on all available interfaces,
>> sends out messages with an envelope sender which is invalid in 99 % of
>> all today's cases, and uses direct-to-MX delivery which is a bad idea
>> for most of today's cases as well.
>
>For the average laptop, certainly.

And for the average dialup workstation.

>> Which is why the Debian exim4 packages default to "local delivery
>> only, not on a network".
>
>So why even install an MTA?

Because there are applications that want to dump information to
/usr/sbin/sendmail and subsequently forget about it in the base
system.

Greetings
Marc