Re: [exim] "Retry Timeout Exceeded" - Mail not getting out

Author: Marc Sherman
To: Bruce Best (CRO)
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [exim] "Retry Timeout Exceeded" - Mail not getting out
Bruce Best (CRO) wrote:

> My /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated has the following lines, if this is
> relevant:
> ______________________________________
> domainlist local_domains = @:localhost

There's your problem. You hostname appears to be "thai.leslieville.ca",
so that is what @ will be replaced by. From looking at what
/usr/sbin/update-exim4.conf does, I can't figure out why your mailname
(leslieville.ca) isn't in that list.

My setup is very similar; my hostname is pyloric.projectile.ca, my
mailname contains the single line "projectile.ca", and my local_domains
comes out as:

domainlist local_domains = @:projectile.ca:localhost:[otherdomains]

(where otherdomains is a few other domains that I virtual host).

Is it possible that your /etc/mailname has a blank line (or other
garbage) in it above leslieville.ca? The update-exim4.conf script
assumes that it's a single line file.

I'm thinking this should be moved to a debian bug report -- it looks
debian-specific to me.

In the meantime, a possible workaround would be to add leslieville.ca to
your dc_other_hostnames (in debconf).

>> BTW, that wouldn't happen to be the Leslieville in the east end of
>> Toronto, would it? I'm in the Beaches. :)
>
> Yes, Dundas & Pape :)

Queen & Vic Park. And we never would have figured out that we were
neighbours if you hadn't stopped obfuscating your logs. :)

- Marc