Re: [exim] "Retry Timeout Exceeded" - Mail not getting out

Author: Marc Sherman
To: Bruce Best (CRO)
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [exim] "Retry Timeout Exceeded" - Mail not getting out
Bruce Best (CRO) wrote:

> As it happens, those who earlier mentioned that I check with my ISP were
> correct; they block port 25 by default for customers, but will unblock it
> and reverse DNS if you ask nicely, so the "relay not permitted" issue when
> using a smarthost isn't a problem for me any more as I can set up my server
> to send mail directly.

Are you sure you're not still having that same problem? From the logs
you posted, it doesn't look like it has anything to do with the
smarthost; it looks like the message is being rejected on receipt,
before it ever gets to the smarthost. The relaying being rejected is
from cp.com to leslieville.ca, not from leslieville.ca to your ISP.
Without the Received headers, I can't tell how the mail got to cp.com,
though.

Does your machine know that it's local mailname is leslieville.ca?

BTW, that wouldn't happen to be the Leslieville in the east end of
Toronto, would it? I'm in the Beaches. :)

- Marc