Re: [exim] More SQL and Database write support

Author: Bill Hacker
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] More SQL and Database write support
Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> SQLite has bindings for Perl and Python
>
> Exim can be embedded with perl or Python
>
> I dont really see what the issue is -
> It would be great if there were some more robust sql capabilities for
> exim.
> It would be great if the current sql support were one day extended to
> sqlite too, as its gaining some ground against mysql and pgsql
>
> But neither of those are really necessary -- you can do most of what you
> want with perl or python.

If SQLite is 'gaining some ground' it is a condemnation of reading
skills in general, and reference to Codd & Date in particular.
and "those who do not learn from history..."

Look at their website: SQLite.org

A) Their web page link for 'unsupported..' shows it missing critical SQL
tools that existed in RBase for DOS when I still had hair and 50 MHz was
a fast CPU.

B) Their FAQ, #2 and #3 explain that it ignores attribute typing, and
that you can put any type of data into any column except an
autoincrementing integer field. i.e - what you might have wanted to be
a date or integer or boolean is just as happy storing a string ......
or the reverse... or *whatever*!

They call this a 'feature', not a bug.

- Vending machines built with 'features' like that are all over Las
Vegas, Punta del Este, Monaco, and Macau...and are required to have
gambling licenses.

It gets worse. Have a look.

It may use, even abuse SQL, but it is NOT a Relational Database
Management System.

Object DB? - sort of,

'scratchpad', certainly.

But RDBMS? NFW!

Suggest a rename to: "SQLied", 'coz you can't guarantee any sort of
integrity if you don't care even about what *type* of data goes into a
field.

Bill Hacker