Re: [exim] Initial Delay of greeting

Author: Bill Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Initial Delay of greeting
Marc Perkel wrote:

> What do I do to create an initial delay in the greeting that Exim send
> out. I've been told that some spammers don't wait for the greeting and
> will create an error if I delay for even a few seconds. Thought I'd try
> it and see how it works.

Several examples have been published, some with complex variable-time
computations, and on web pages with full 'How To'.

Best to keep two things in mind:

- IF you do this at all, it should be to confirmed or at least
'suspected' bad-actors that for some (dare I say 'valid'?) reason you
are not content to just 'deny' and be rid of.

- You will be using up at least some marginal increment more resources
than otherwise - your own server, the connecting server, and the link.

Fighting rude behaviour with more of the same doesn't suit an efficient MTA.

In general - it is cleaner and more trouble-free to waste as little time
as practical in rejecting ratware and moving on to the next message.

HTH,

Bill