Re: [exim] Initial Delay of greeting

Author: Michael F. Sprague
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Initial Delay of greeting
Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:
> What do I do to create an initial delay in the greeting that Exim send
> out. I've been told that some spammers don't wait for the greeting and
> will create an error if I delay for even a few seconds. Thought I'd try
> it and see how it works.

You can do it with the delay command in an ACL:

  delay       = 20s

will delay for 20 seconds.

I delay if certain things fail such as a reverse DNS lookup or if the
HELO name cannot be verified. It can be pretty effective. I'll share my
recipies if you like but I got most of the ideas from:

http://slett.net/spam-filtering-for-mx/

It's a very helpful document. :)

mikeS

--
Michael Sprague  | mfs@???
President        | System and Network Engineering (SaNE), Inc