[exim] Apple Mail groups

Author: Unknown
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Apple Mail groups
Hi,

I've had a complaint that incoming mail is rejected when sent to a group
from Apple's Mail.

I think, Mail is creating a header like this:

To: Group Name

where "Group Name" is the name of a group defined in Apple's address book.

As far as I can tell from the RFC, that's illegal, and should read "To:
Group Name:;". Can anyone confirm that I'm correct in that reading of the
RFC?

Now, I'm using verify = header_syntax in an ACL as well as a
default_domain, and a qualify_domain. The upshot is that if the group name
contains no spaces, then it gets qualified and an incorrect To: header is
yielded. If the group name contains a space, then my server rejects the
email on the grounds that it contains invalid header syntax.

I suppose the only workaround would be to remove the verification, but
presumably I'd be stuck with the qualification - or is there a way that I
can make exim pass these addresses unqualified in the headers?

Hmm, the documentation on qualify_domain talks a lot about qualifying
unqualified addresses in the smtp dialog, but doesn't explicitly talk about
qualifying addresses in headers. Is it used for this? It isn't my MUA
that's doing the qualification, and it doesn't appear to be any of my
rewrite rules.

A workaround in Mail seems to be to use the group name
"GroupName@???"!
--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team