Re: AW: [exim] Relay for certain virtual Mailaccounts

Author: Bill Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: AW: [exim] Relay for certain virtual Mailaccounts
Elmar Leirich, CONCEPTNET GmbH wrote:

> I know that this is not the best way. But I am converting the Mailserver
> from a Windows Mail Server (Imail). Users shouldn’t notice the change, so I
> have to allow them to send mail even if they cannot authenticate. Some
> customers still use old Outlook 97. I don´t know how get this done without
> allowing the relay from some addresses...

One of the 'old ways' (common with QMail+Vpopmail+MySQL, etc.) was
'smtp-after-pop', wherein the smtpd allowed access based on the
petitioner having been vetted by the pop process no more than 'n'
minutes ago.

MUA-side, all it requires is that the MUA 'check for new mail on
startup' and 'check for new mail every {n} minutes',
where {n} is less than the timeout 'window' during which a given IP
validated by the pop auth process is allowed to utilize the smptd services.

This no longer a very good device, if it ever was.

- but it might solve your problem with at least a little more security
than opening up a 'permanent' door for an IP or domain.

That said, investing effort in getting those users to migrate to a
better MUA would be a better use of resources.

The automatic bayesian and configurable regexp spam filters in
Thunderbird, Mozilla (full 'suite') Mail, Opera browser's mail, and
several other F/OSS alternatives should be all it takes to 'sell' the
migration.

HTH,

Bill Hacker