Re: [exim] Help with "Return-Path" modification for Exim 4.4…

Author: Marc Sherman
To: George Bica
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Help with "Return-Path" modification for Exim 4.41
George Bica wrote:

> Thank you Marc for your explanation. It seems like "Return-Path" is
> out of my reach. I wanted to see what you guys would suggest as an
> alternative to controlling bounced emails. We currently get 300-1000
> per day. Most of them involve mistyped email addresses that should go
> back to the agents, so they can fix them.

And that's what the "-f $agent_email" does. It sets the envelope sender
of the mail. Return-Path: is _not_ what is used to route bounces,
envelope sender is. Return-Path: is just added to the mail by the
recieving mail server to help the user see where a bounce would have
gone to. See RFC 2821 section 4.4 for more information:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2821.html

BTW, thanks for not top posting, but please remember to trim your
quotes, as well. It looks like you're using Outlook; setting the option
to mark quotes using the standard ">" character would be helpful as well.

- Marc