[exim] Detecting attachments using a transport_filter

Author: Carl Inglis
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Detecting attachments using a transport_filter
[Moderator: Please ignore the copy of this that came from a
non-subscribed address - my apologies for my mistake]

I've been asked by management (always a worrying way to start an email)
to setup a method of detecting attachments entering and leaving the
company via email. I've written a perl script to accept a message on
STDIN, break it down into its parts if it's MIME, detect if any of its
parts are non text/*, send an email to a nominated address and return
the message unedited on its STDOUT.

The problem I'm having is getting Exim to fire this script for each
message it sees. I've looked at a transport_filter, but I'm getting
errors in my mainlog when Exim tries to run this:
[snip]
2005-02-10 17:21:42 1CzHxD-0000Me-6J == test@??? R=amavis
T=amavis defer (-24): transport filter process failed (2)
[snip]

I've checked the permissions, and run the script as the Exim user. It
runs fine.

Is a transport_filter the best way to do this, or am I missing something
really obvious? If the latter, any pointers in the right direction would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl
--
Carl C. Inglis
IT Systems Administrator

originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

states them to be the views of Total Recruitment Group.

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed
by SurfControl SuperScout Email Filter software in conjunction with
virus detection software.