Re: [exim] Exim 3.36, mySQL and route_list

Author: Adrian Zaugg
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 3.36, mySQL and route_list

Rob Stead wrote:

>     smarthost_tg router: failed to expand "${lookup": missing lookup type

Voilà: There must be a syntax error: Exim can't see you want to use a
mysql lookup. *Recheck the docu*. You may also want to try exim's
testing features and use a high debug level:
exim -bt -d 13 test@???

> lack of knowledge sadly doesn't allow me (yet) to understand the
> relationship between these two.

Routers: Remote delivery
Directors: Local delivery

> select route from ...' only appears to work in the director section

No, I don't think.

If you need to do a lot of configuration works, you should consider to
buy Philip Hazel's excellent book about exim. Before you do too much in
exim 3.36, consider using exim4, if you can. One day you will need to
upgrade anyway and it might be easier doing it from scratch than
migrating an existing configuration. If you start with exim4, there
won't be any need of migration in the nearer future (is exim5 in sight
at all?)... In addition to this, people on this list can help you much
more with the current version (not mentioning all the goodies of exim4
etc.).

Regards, Adrian.