Re: [exim] Doco bug report and wishlist item

Author: Russell Stuart
To: exim-users
CC: Tony Finch
Subject: Re: [exim] Doco bug report and wishlist item
On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 23:56, Marc Sherman wrote:
> I think the issue he's complaining about is that if there are 6 large
> messages at the front of the queue, followed by 100 small messages, and
> queue_run_max is the default of 5, then all 5 queue runners will be busy
> sending the large messages for a long time, and the many small messages
> will be delayed.

Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry for not being clear. We only
have ADSL links with 256Kb outbound. We have had 150Mb in the
queue, in a hundred or so messages. The bulk of this 150Mb
is taken up by a few messages which then hog the queue.

I will implement traffic throttling on these links in the
not too distant future to reduce the impact of things like
email on interactive traffic. This will dramatically
reduce the amount of bandwidth available to email. Once
I do that a number of large messages could potentially
hog the queue for hours. Obviously I can't do anything
about the large messages taking a long while to send, but
it would nice if the small ones continued to flow.