Re: [exim] Best bogofilter integration (for after-SMTP time)…

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] Best bogofilter integration (for after-SMTP time)?
[ On Friday, February 4, 2005 at 02:04:12 (+0100), Axel Thimm wrote: ]
> Subject: [exim] Best bogofilter integration (for after-SMTP time)?
>
> I've seen two way of integrating bogofilter:
>
> o as a transport_filter for (almost) each transport
> o as a transport of its own resubmitting the mail into exim's queue
>
> Both methods are kind of hackish.

Neither method will work very well either unless maybe all the users get
very similar mail all of the time.

Filters that use statistical analysis and word or token lists only work
really well if they can be targetted to individual users so that each
recipient mailbox has its own private token list, and so that each user
has a direct and easy way to re-train it when it makes a mistake. Note
that Bogofilter in particular can quickly get out of control if it
starts to make mistakes and isn't retrained properly.

You might consider using DSpam instead. It does even more than
bogofilter in terms of analysis and claims a much lower error rate even
without retraining (it uses CRM114), and it was designed to work well
and properly at the LDA level so that each user has a private wordlist
(i.e. a more accurate and private statistical model of their normal
e-mail traffic).

    http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/

DSPam should be very easy to integrate if you're using mail.local(8) or
any other pipe transport for local delivery (e.g. Cyrus deliver(8))
since it just runs as another process in the pipeline -- i.e. it
masquerades as the delivery agent.

(I'm not yet a user of DSpam as I still use bogofilter directly from my
own mail reader, but I am very much an admirer of DSpam! :-)

--
                        Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@???>