[exim] Re: SMTP protocol violation (3ware raid controller ma…

Author: Timo Neuvonen
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: SMTP protocol violation (3ware raid controller mailingtoexim 4.44)
> The 3dm2 smtp client should wait for the smtp greeting message "220
> your.server ESMTP Exim..." before sending any input, but it seems that
> he immediatly sends his "helo $hostname", which is a protocol violation.

Strictly speaking, is it a violation?
rfc2821, Section 4.3.1, 2nd paragraph says:

"----
One important reply is the connection greeting. Normally, a receiver
will send a 220 "Service ready" reply when the connection is
completed. The sender SHOULD wait for this greeting message before
sending any commands.
----"

Previous paragraph used uppercase MUST when speaking about waiting
for other replies.

It looks to me, that this default behaviour of exim is more strict than the
rfc requires. But I think it would sound very sensible to require waiting
for _all_ replies before issuing new commands.

--
TiN