[exim] SMTP protocol violation (3ware raid controller mailin…

Author: Timo Neuvonen
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] SMTP protocol violation (3ware raid controller mailing to exim 4.44)
After upgrading exim 3.34 to first 3.43 and then to 3.44, I started getting
error messages similar to the following to exim log:

2005-01-29 19:29:34 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error
(input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from
H=[192.168.128.8]

Of course, it's possible that the problem its at either end.
What I've tried so far, is using two external (isp's) mail servers too, in
addition to my own servers.

One of the servers I tried. is running exim 4.44 (like I do):
220-gamma.jumpserver.net ESMTP Exim 4.44 #1 Sun, 30 Jan 2005 07:34:28 -0600
In this case, the message doesn't get into my mailbox. I just can't access
that mail server's logs but I believe the reason is the same I met with my
own servers.

Another server I tried is running sendmail:
220 smtp2.nblnetworks.fi ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.8; Sun, 30 Jan 2005
15:33:25 +0200
In this case, the message goes thru into my mailbox

The sending software is 3ware's 3dm2, v2.02.00.025 running on FC3 linux. So
it's not a mail clinent that could easily be replaced. Exim 4.34 worked ok
in this sense, after upgrading to exim. 4.43 I met the problem (didn't try
other versions between the two I mentioned). 4.44 works the same way like
4.43. I have the same experience from 3 different own servers (not speaking
now about the servers I used to test this).

Of course, something working with sendmail doesn't mean yet that the bug
would be in exim. So, I also informed 3ware's support about this.
Unfortunately I'm not able to debug smtp protocol by myself. Has anyone
else met similar problems?

For me, this looks slightly similar to problem mentioned in thread 'SMTP
protocol violation...' posted on Jan 28th.

Regards,

Timo