Re: [exim] SPF acl condition not recognized

Author: David Woodhouse
To: doug
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SPF acl condition not recognized
On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 18:05 -0800, Doug Jolley wrote:
> I would appreciate any suggestions on what I
> might do to troubleshoot this problem. Thanks
> for any input.

Double-check that the code in question actually did get compiled in,
check that you're using it in an ACL where it's actually valid. And
check you're actually running the version of Exim which you just
compiled, of course :)

I can't see that you've done anything obviously wrong, apart from
wanting to use SPF in the first place of course. It should only take you
a few minutes to work out what's wrong.

But you'd do better to spend those few minutes thinking about what SPF
actually tries to do, and how that relates to the real world. Then
you'll probably realise that you shouldn't be using SPF. It's a very bad
idea and will lead to loss of genuine mail.

See http://david.woodhou.se/why-not-spf.html for a fuller explanation.

I don't think the SPF support should be included in Exim at this time,
even if it's disabled by default -- not only is the concept entirely
bogus, but the algorithm is still changing, so SPF checking is a moving
target.

--
dwmw2