Re: [exim] "drop" verb and logging ..

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] "drop" verb and logging ..
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Jeremy Harris wrote:

> You could run a continuous "tail -f mainlog | grep '<='".
> But this runs into problems at log switchover time.

<snip>
> How does eximon manage?

A very good question that I think has turned up a bug!

Eximon does it by remembering the inode of the log file, and checking to
see whether it has changed. When I wrote the code, I didn't know that
there were file systems that do not use inodes.

I believe that reiserfs doesn't have inodes. Is anybody running Exim
with log files being written to such a file system? If so, what does
Eximon do when you rename a log file?