Re: [exim] local_interfaces option

Author: Patrick Flowers
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] local_interfaces option

Odhiambo G. Washington wrote:
> * Patrick Flowers <patrick@???> [20050126 07:18]: wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to configure Lyris ListManager to work on a redhat server
>>with exim installed. I need to have ListManager on port 25 and exim
>>on port 26 on one IP address.
>
>>Exim will need to monitor port 25 for the other IP addresses.
>>Is the following syntax correct for the local_interfaces directive
>>to accomplish this:
>
> That is a strange config for Exim (to me, because I never tested that
> before.
>
>>local_interfaces = aa.bbb.ccc.dd.26 : 127.0.0.1 : 0.0.0.0
>
> From your explanation, you are saying, for example if we take two
> interfaces on that server, you want Exim to listen on each of them,
> but on different ports, so:
>
> local_interfaces = <, a.b.c.d.25 , w.x.y.z.26

Actually, there are 8 interfaces. I only need to move Exim to port 26
on one of those. Do I need to specify every interface, or just the one
that I need to move? The documentation for both Exim and Lyris are
pretty clear - if you only have one IP.

>>Is the 127.0.0.1 entry necessary?
>
> well, if you want it. If no local_interfaces directive is given to Exim
> (and to most other daemons) it ends up binding to all available ones,
> including the loopback interface.

Again, it's unclear to me whether the omission of an interface in the
local_interfaces directive means that interface will be ignored or will
be bound on the standard port.

>>I appreciate any input. This is a new venture and my first encounter
>>with exim.
>
> Which is why you shouldn't be doing anything this complicated, but I
> am not underestimating your capabilities!

The local_interfaces directive isn't that complicated - if you're only
managing one IP address...

> Why don't you let Exim listen on the default port 25 and Lyris to use
> port 26? I believe there is no hard-coded port in Lyris, no? I have
> never seen it even.

Well, it's the method called out in the Lyris documentation and would
seem simpler from a administration side.

> Lastly, if I may ask (at the risk of going OT) why do you prefer Lyris
> over Mailman?

Feature set - it's the only package we've found that has both a web and
mail interface without having database synch issues.