Re: [exim] local_interfaces option

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: Patrick Flowers
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] local_interfaces option
* Patrick Flowers <patrick@???> [20050126 07:18]: wrote:
> I'm trying to configure Lyris ListManager to work on a redhat server
> with exim installed. I need to have ListManager on port 25 and exim
> on port 26 on one IP address.

Yay??

> Exim will need to monitor port 25 for the other IP addresses.
> Is the following syntax correct for the local_interfaces directive
> to accomplish this:

That is a strange config for Exim (to me, because I never tested that
before.

> local_interfaces = aa.bbb.ccc.dd.26 : 127.0.0.1 : 0.0.0.0

From your explanation, you are saying, for example if we take two
interfaces on that server, you want Exim to listen on each of them,
but on different ports, so:

local_interfaces = <, a.b.c.d.25 , w.x.y.z.26

> Is the 127.0.0.1 entry necessary?

well, if you want it. If no local_interfaces directive is given to Exim
(and to most other daemons) it ends up binding to all available ones,
including the loopback interface.

> I appreciate any input. This is a new venture and my first encounter
> with exim.

Which is why you shouldn't be doing anything this complicated, but I
am not underestimating your capabilities!

Why don't you let Exim listen on the default port 25 and Lyris to use
port 26? I believe there is no hard-coded port in Lyris, no? I have
never seen it even.

See spec.txt and even the FAQ, on notes regarding starting Exim on a
non-standard port. There have been some changes in this area lately (IIRC)
but you normally needed to start exim with "-oX port_number" ...
Take a good look at the ChangeLog/NewStuff documents of the Exim version
you are running!

Lastly, if I may ask (at the risk of going OT) why do you prefer Lyris
over Mailman?

        -wash

Odhiambo Washington . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE) | wash _at_
wananchi _ dot _ com . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St., | GSM: (+254)
722 743 223 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI | GSM: (+254) 733 744 121 . (+254)
020 313 985 - 9 |