Re: [exim] Returning mail via filter/how to avoid frozen mes…

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Returning mail via filter/how to avoid frozen messages
On 26 Jan 2005 at 11:06, Toralf Lund wrote about
    "[exim] Returning mail via filter/ho":

| As a spam reduction measure, I want to return all messages to certain
| variants of my e-mail address that I'm no longer using, with a message
| that should give an actual human reading the response an idea about how
| I may now be reached.

IMHO: Don't do this, it's abusive. Instead, use an RCPT ACL clause
to reject such messages at SMTP time, and give your new address in
the 55x message. For a really simple example:

# Reject Fred's hostmaster alias, it's getting mostly Swen virii.

  deny    local_parts    = hostmaster
    message = hostmaster account cancelled due to Swen, resend to fv

A more general solution is to use a file rather than hard-coding
defunct user names in the ACL. Example (untested):

# Reject defunct user names

  deny local_parts = lsearch;/usr/exim/alumni
       message = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/usr/exim/alumni}}

where alumni contains lines like:

hostmaster: hostmaster account cancelled due to Swen, resend to fv
exsalesguy: exsalesguy not here anymore, resend to sales@???

- Fred