[exim] Returning mail via filter/how to avoid frozen message…

Author: Toralf Lund
Subject: [exim] Returning mail via filter/how to avoid frozen messages
As a spam reduction measure, I want to return all messages to certain
variants of my e-mail address that I'm no longer using, with a message
that should give an actual human reading the response an idea about how
I may now be reached.

What I have tried doing is

    noerror mail from $original_local_part@$original_domain subject
"Failure notice: $h_subject" expand file .oldaddr.msg return message

in my .forward file - along with the appropriate address test,
obviously. This sort of works, but it will sometimes lead to frozen
messages in the mail queue, presumably because the return address isn't
valid.

Is there any way I can avoid those frozen messages? An why do they
appear in the first place? I mean, I the exim config has

check_recipient:
[ ... ]
require verify = sender

so I would normally expect everything that gets as far as the user
forward file to have a valid return address.

- Toralf