Re: [exim] problem in system_aliases router

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Toralf Lund
CC: Exim Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] problem in system_aliases router
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Toralf Lund wrote:

> OK, it turns out that if I change the above setup to something like:
>
>    all-users: :include:/usr/local/etc/mail.all
>    all: all-users, toralf

> "all" does work, although "all-users" doesn't (when used directly as receiver
> address.) With
>
>    all-users: :include:/usr/local/etc/mail.all
>    all: all-users

> or
>
>    all: :include:/usr/local/etc/mail.all, toralf

> it does not, i.e. I have to reference the address list file indirectly *and*
> include at least one other address in the alias expansion.

OK, that explains it. The answer is that the "exim" user cannot read the
file when it is verifying an address. When you have more than one
address for the alias, verification stops on the grounds that this is a
valid "mailing list". When you have only one address, verification
carries on to check that alias address. That's why having two users
works.

> system_aliases:
> driver = redirect
> allow_defer
> allow_fail
> data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/aliases}}
> file_transport = address_file
> group = mail
> pipe_transport = address_pipe
> retry_use_local_part
> user = guest
>
> Can anyone explain this?

The "user = guest" setting is no good when Exim is verifying, because at
that time it is running as "exim".