[exim] Diskless Hosts with Volatile /var

Author: Ephraim Silverberg
Subject: [exim] Diskless Hosts with Volatile /var
We have diskless hosts, whose /var is erased upon reboot, which run Exim 4.12
with a minimal configuration which routes all mail to a central server.

The problem is that when the communications to the central server are down,
we want the SMTP mail attempt to fail immediately and *not* spool the file
for a queue run since these hosts are rebooted all the time (especially
during times when there are communications problems ...) and the spool
would be wiped out. How can I cause the MUA (e.g. Pine) to get an
immediate failure condition in such a scenario?

Any advice is appreciated.
Ephraim Silverberg, CSE System Group,        Phone number:    972-2-6585521
Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel.        Fax number:      972-2-5617723
WWW: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~ephraim       E-mail: ephraim@???