Re: [exim] SMTP Transport: Try different interfaces

Author: Peter Bowyer
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP Transport: Try different interfaces
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:05:47 -0800, Avleen Vig
<lists-exim@???> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 08:56:26PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > I haven't looked at the code in connection with this yet. However, the
> > "interface" parameter is already a list. Exim uses the first item that
> > is of the correct type (IPv4 or IPv6). So you don't need to add a new
> > parameter, just modify the code to try the next interface in the list.
> > However, I can't say how easy that is without looking at the code. Exim
> > is now far, far too big to keep it all in my head. :-)

'interface' takes an expanded string. So if you didn't want to mess
with the Exim code, you could use one of a few methods to read the
interface address from something external...

interface = ${readfile ...
interface = ${perl ...
interface = ${readsocket ...

... and use an out-of-band method to keep the source material up to
date - maybe something as simple as a shell script running out of
crontab which updates a file after doing some pings... substitute your
favourite way of telling whether an interface is up or down.

Just a thought...

Peter