RE: [exim] redirecting spam

Author: William Rundquist
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] redirecting spam

Interesting proposition. I would have thought that delivering
spam to a separate mail folder (regardless of the location of
that folder) would be something that a large portion of the
community would be doing and so there would be a straightforward
recommendation.

FWIW, the solution that I have come up with after digging
thru the docs a bit more (I'm still getting use to the exim
configuration syntax after way too many years of smail-3) is
working well. It relies only on a flag set by the data acl
as a result of the scan.

The redirect router looks like the following:

spam_redirect:
driver = redirect
condition = ${if def:h_X-Spam-Flag: {1}{0}}
domains = "your domain(s) here"
check_local_user
require_files = /home/$local_part
data = /home/$local_part/Spambox
file_transport = address_file

The keys in this router are the use of check_local_user to
properly setup the user and group for the delivery thru the
file_transport and the require_files check for a home
directory (which prevents entries in /home from being created
for the system accounts like exim, admin, etc).

YMMV, but this *seems to me* to be a reasonable strategy
assuming that you don't ever want to reject email with a
false positive, and lets you set the spam score level to
a much lower value since all mail will be delivered somewhere.

Andy