Re: [exim] Postfix vs Exim

Autor: Khyron
A: David R. Patterson
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Postfix vs Exim
I have previously used Sendmail up through 8.11 (I threw in the towel
at 12, it was like masturbating with a cheese grater), Postfix 2.02
and Exim 4.x on my personal hosted server.

When I originally considered a new MTA, a hard requirement was good
anti-spam configuration and (at the time) RBL support. Postfix had it
as a hack (don't know if it still does) - a patch that was not
officially supported or recommended by the developer. Exim had it
native and it had been in the tree for a while (since 3.x, IIRC). I
went to Postfix b/c I used it at my then employer, and it worked but I
was still miffed with the RBL thing. I continued using it until I
moved to my new server, when I finally read the Exim configuration and
documentation enough to give it another try. My first attempt failed
horribly, but the 2nd try went swimmingly and I've been a believer
ever since.

The Exim configuration, at its most basic, makes even more sense than
Postfix's, IMO. And there is sooo much power lurking, especially in
the ACLs. Throw in Exiscan, which is *much* more integrated and
polished than the Postfix RBL hack was, and I was hooked. And the
default Exim configuration, out of the box, was plenty more secure
than my previous Sendmail or Postfix installations. I think my spam
count dropped at least 30% just by installing Exim with the default
configuration.

HTH.