Re: [exim] case lost in local part of address

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ruslan Abdulkhalikov
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] case lost in local part of address
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Ruslan Abdulkhalikov wrote:

> I am post here this message because looks like exim.org does not have
> bugzilla (why?)...

Because nobody has yet found time to set it up. We do plan to do this
when we can. Please be patient.

> But the /usr/local/bin/virt_mail receive the mail with caseless local
> part, even caseful_local_part is set...
> Did I do something wrong? Or it is a bug?

I suspect that very few people actually use caseful_local_part, which is
why this has not been noticed before.

It may be a sort of bug. The documentation states that
caseful_local_part applies to routers. It states nothing about what
happens in transports. Looking at the code, however, I can't immediately
see a reason for $local_part to revert to the caseless version when a
router assigns it to a transport.

I will have to do some tests to check this out. If there is a bug, I
will fix it for the next major release (4.50). I will also make sure
that the documentaion is updated to be more clear about this.

Meanwhile, the documentation for $original_local_part does state that
the setting from a router does affect the value. If this is a toplevel
address, $original_local_part should be the same as $local_part, so you
could try using $original_local_part to see if that is a workaround.