Re: [exim] Processes not terminating [Was Re: Too many conne…

Author: Rory Campbell-Lange
To: Nigel Metheringham, exim-users
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim] Processes not terminating [Was Re: Too many connections, SMTP timeout problems]
With Philip's help I seem to have solved the problem.

There appear to be errors or, at least, delays when querying the hosting
provider's DNS server over ipv6.

I used the dns_ipv4_lookup = * option to force lookups to ipv4, and the
problem appears to have resolved itself so far, after an hour or so of
testing.

Incidentally, I was compounding the problems by using
exiscan+spamassassin. Spamassassin was doing rbl checks as well as exim.
"skip_rbl_checks 1" fixed that in /etc/spamassassin/local.cf

On 11/01/05, Rory Campbell-Lange (rory@???) wrote:
> This thread began because my server was experiencing too many
> connections. I get lots and lots of outgoing connections hanging in the
> following state shown below (CLOSE_WAIT).
>
> (lsof -i output)
> exim4      6304 Debian-exim    0u  IPv4 655292       TCP myserver:smtp->mail2.myisp.net:49602 (CLOSE_WAIT)
> exim4      6304 Debian-exim    2u  IPv4 655292       TCP myserver:smtp->mail2.myisp.net:49602 (CLOSE_WAIT)
> exim4      6304 Debian-exim    3u  IPv4 655313       UDP myserver:35888->ns1.myisp.net:domain

Thanks for all the help.
Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange