[exim] Re: [rory@campbell-lange.net: Processes not terminati…

Author: Rory Campbell-Lange
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: [rory@campbell-lange.net: Processes not terminating [Was Re: Too many connections, SMTP timeout problems]]
Dear Philip

Thanks very much indeed for your reply. It has been hugely helpful.

On 12/01/05, Philip Hazel (ph10@???) wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> Nigel was right to point out that "stopping" Exim just stops the daemon,
> and there will be leftover processes still running.

> Of those processes, the -Mc one is a delivery process, and the -q one is
> a queue runner. The others are likely to be incoming connections.
>
> > > I don't know if this is associated with a timeout problem:
> > >     2005-01-06 10:43:11 SMTP command timeout on connection from mail2.isp.net

> Sounds very plausible. Which release of Exim 4 is this? I'm guessing
> 4.34, since that is what you used to send the message. I can't see
> anything relevant in the ChangeLog for later releases, though there was
> a bug for *outgoing* messages, fixed at 4.42:

I took your suggestion and spent some time looking at mail/dns traffic
with tcpdump on the problem host and another host with the same
configuration that is working well.

You are correct, this was not an outgoing mail problem generated or not
by exiwhat. It appears that recent changes to the hosting provider's DNS
server are causing IPv6 lookup timeouts or incorrect responses (I'm not
experienced enough to tell which).

Once I had established this I used the

    dns_ipv4_lookup = *

option to force ipv4 lookups. This has solved the problem thus far
(after an hour running under the new configuration so far.)

Thanks again. I am very grateful indeed for your assistance.

Kind regards,
Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange