Re: [exim] Big Brother: Bcc all SMTP traffic

Author: Jonathan Vanasco
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Big Brother: Bcc all SMTP traffic

If you MUST do this yourself, I would suggest that you use a system
filter that does an unseen save. there is a recent posting / howto in
the mailing list archive on how to do it.

Under no circumstances would I do a bcc, because then you run into a
whole bunch of legal and privacy issues. You might even be violating
some SEC stuff.

What I would STRONGLY consider doing, is use a bonded service to broker
your email transactions.

Instead of you doing anything, you give them your mx record. they
handle all of the email archiving, and will even set up a proxy reroute
to archive AOL IM chats.

The benefit of this isn't less work -- its that they're bonded and
you're covered by a contract. If your company gets in trouble for not
archiving anything, that company is obligated to pay for any fines AND
they're good for it, as they have a bond. They're usually obligated to
have everything encrypted too, with only your company having the
decryption key, so the messages can only be accessed during an audit.

All of the small-mid size investment firms and brokerages I know use
these SEC compliance companies. The only ones I know of that don't are
the BIG firms that can handle everything themselves and afford a
non-compliance fine when necessary.