Re: [exim] Securing Email for the prying eyes of any governm…

Author: Dick Davies
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] Securing Email for the prying eyes of any government
* Marc Perkel <marc@???> [0100 01:00]:
> I have an idea of a concept of creating a secure email system that can
> not be tapped into by anyone. I want to throw the concept out and see if
> you all think this could work.
>
> Lets assume we have a powerful and corrupt government who wants to read
> incoming email of a nonprofit organization trying to fight government
> corruption. If the org has a server for it's email - the governmet could
> tap the closest router and see all the unencrypted email coming in - and
> most email is unemcrypted. So - how would this org prevent this?
>
> Suppose there were a network of servers around the world that were - at
> least in part - outside the reach of the corrupt government. These
> servers - which would also do spam and virus filtering - would be the MX
> destinations for these domains. Because there are so many of them in
> diverse locations - there is no single point where the mail can be
> tapped.

Surely you just have to tap one, and then sit and read all the mails passing
through?

Why not just use message encryption a la gnupg / pgp / whatever?
And maybe a remailer to mask who is talking to who.

Course this still leaves you open to rubber hose cryptanalysis, which I imagine
is a lot more popular in the current political climate.

Hope orange is your colour, and you fancy a holiday to Cuba :)

--
'Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.'
        -- Bender