Re: [exim] PostINI and TLS - SMTP Transport errors

Author: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] PostINI and TLS - SMTP Transport errors
<-- Warning: charset 'unknown-8bit' is not supported -->

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:04:25PM -0600, Barry Pederson wrote:

> There's a press release on Postini's website dated the 13th:
>
> "Postini Unveils World?s Largest Encrypted Email Network; Builds TLS
> Encryption Support Into Managed Service Offering"
>
>      http://postini.com/news_events/pr/pr121304.php

> I wonder if they botched something with this new rollout.

They did indeed appear to botch something. It appears that their TLS
service is currently incompatible with anything based on the openssl
library, at least from what I can tell. Users of Courier mail service
seem to be experiencing the same thing.

Using Exim's hosts_avoid_tls is the only way I could find around it.

Until Postini does some work on their end, TLS w/ openssl simply doesn't
appear to be working correctly. You'll get to the DATA section of the
transaction and either get timeouts or disconnects, resulting in
possible duplicate messages being sent to the end user, and eventual
bounces of the messages themselves.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???