Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out of the box

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP Authentication out of the box
On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 16:59 +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> Ideally someone would modify pam_exim (or better pam_unix so its:-
>       * Vaguely acceptible
>       * Can support checks from a specific user specified in the pam
>         control file rather than a separate hard compiled in user.

That involves making the unix_chkpwd helper program actually capable of
parsing the pam control files, which currently it's not. More reasonable
perhaps is the idea of using a predefined 'pamauth' group, membership of
which also gives you the capability to check passwords for users other
than yourself. I was poking at it and trying to work out the best way
forward when someone said "why not just use saslauthd". I couldn't
really come up with a coherent answer to that, so that's what I did.

--
dwmw2