Re: [exim] Re: How can I tell if my server is getting bombar…

Author: Tommy Butler
To: exim-users
CC: Andreas Metzler
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: How can I tell if my server is getting bombarded with spam?
Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On 2004-12-16 Tommy Butler <tommy@???> wrote:
>
>>Andreas Metzler wrote:
>>
>>>What I want to say is: Remove the "*" from "domains for which you are
>>>prepared to accept mail from anywhere on the Internet", run
>>>update-exim4.conf to make this change effective, recheck in the
>>>configuration file to verify that the "*" is not part of domainlist
>>>relay_to_domains and then rerun the open-relay test.
>
>>When I do this I can't send mail to anyone with an email address outside of
>>@cityairlines.net, so of course the open-relay test passes as no relays are
>>accepted.
>
> Using the * is not the correct solution for this.
>
> Please be more verbose on your problem. "I can't send mail"?

When sending mail from my office pc to other company employees who have
@cityairlines.net email addresses, mail delivery is successful and they can
retrieve mail from the mailserver with their POP and/or IMAP mail clients. Most
use outlook, but some use thunderbird. see
http://www.cityairlines.net/eximyesrelayremote.png

When sending mail from my office pc to any domain other than cityairlines.net,
it is denied relay: see http://www.cityairlines.net/eximyesrelay.png

When sending mail from the mailserver itself to any external domain, it
succeeds: http://www.cityairlines.net/eximyesrelay.png

> From which host - from the machine exim is actually running on? If yes
> what does exim4 -bt exim-users@??? say?

It says:
$ exim4 -bt exim-users@???
R: dnslookup for exim-users@???
exim-users@???
router = dnslookup, transport = remote_smtp
host sesame.csx.cam.ac.uk [131.111.8.41] MX=5

> If no, read <E1CetLj-000424-Q2@???>.

I don't understand that last line ^^^^^^^^^

--
Tommy Butler
tommy@??? <mailto:tommy@atrixnet.com>

/—instant messenger—/