Re: [exim] Re: How can I tell if my server is getting bombar…

Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Re: How can I tell if my server is getting bombarded with spam?
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:55:44 -0600, Tommy Butler <tommy@???>
wrote:
>Wakko Warner wrote:
>> You have in your config somewhere:
>> domainlist relay_to_domains = *
>
>Yes I do; it's the only way I can get the server to send anything.

No, it is not. Which other ways did you try?

>I've already made your suggested change, and when doing that it only will relay
>mail sent to other people with email addresses @cityairlines.net (our domain).

You need to set up other ways for authentication for outgoing e-mail.
Typical ways for simple setups are relaying messages that come in from
your local network, or to use SMTP AUTH.

>I'm not using the split config. I'm using the configuration files that were
>installed by debian.

Which is the split config in /etc/exim4/conf.d, or a monolithic file
/etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template.

> As mentioned in an earlier post in this thread by Adam D.
>Barrat, when I first installed exim4 using apt-get, I encountered the following
>prompt, to which I accepted the default, which is to relay for no one. Even
>having done so the config file created by the installation said "domainlist
>relay_to_domains = *"

Which is, if it really happens, a BAD bug. Can you reproduce this? If
yes, please file a bug with the Debian BTS.

>prompt was:
>| Please enter here the domains for which you accept to relay the mail.
>|
>| Such domains are domains for which you are prepared to accept mail
>| from anywhere on the Internet. Do not mention local domains here.
>|
>| The domains you enter here should be separated by colons. Wildcards
>| may be used.
>
>As I stated, I left the prompt empty.

Debian's reportbug script will dump the relevant parts of the Debconf
database into the bug report, and we'll see what was entered there.

>> when you find the file, edit it, and remove the *
>> also, you should run the update-<whatever> to rebuild the config file (if
>> you are infact using split config)
>
>This I have done, and my server continues to function as an open relay. What
>the #@$(* is going on?! I am going nuts. My boss is very unhappy that the smtp
>server is still down.

Did you change the appropriate value in
/etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf and re-run update-exim4.conf (which
is automatically done by the init script when starting or reloading
exim)?

Greetings
Marc