Re: [exim] Re: How can I tell if my server is getting bombar…

Autor: Tommy Butler
A: exim-users
CC: Wakko Warner, John W. Baxter
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Re: How can I tell if my server is getting bombardedwith spam?
Wakko Warner wrote:
> You have in your config somewhere:
> domainlist relay_to_domains = *

Yes I do; it's the only way I can get the server to send anything.

> Don't do that. You should shut down your server or otherwise remove it from
> the internet until you close this hole.

I have taken it offline.

> Since you're running debian, you can try this:
>
> find /etc/exim* | xargs grep relay_to_domains

I've already made your suggested change, and when doing that it only will relay
mail sent to other people with email addresses @cityairlines.net (our domain).

> This should tell you where the problem is. I myself am not familiar with
> debian's split config. I compiled exim 4.43 using debian's packaged 4.34

I'm not using the split config. I'm using the configuration files that were
installed by debian. As mentioned in an earlier post in this thread by Adam D.
Barrat, when I first installed exim4 using apt-get, I encountered the following
prompt, to which I accepted the default, which is to relay for no one. Even
having done so the config file created by the installation said "domainlist
relay_to_domains = *"

prompt was:
| Please enter here the domains for which you accept to relay the mail.

| Such domains are domains for which you are prepared to accept mail
| from anywhere on the Internet. Do not mention local domains here.

| The domains you enter here should be separated by colons. Wildcards
| may be used.

As I stated, I left the prompt empty.

> when you find the file, edit it, and remove the *
> also, you should run the update-<whatever> to rebuild the config file (if
> you are infact using split config)

This I have done, and my server continues to function as an open relay. What
the #@$(* is going on?! I am going nuts. My boss is very unhappy that the smtp
server is still down.

I even tried using postfix today. Did no good. I couldn't get it to work
either. I experienced the same problems, and seeing this I decided that if I
couldn't get anything to work, I might as well stick with exim4 as it is the
preferred MTA for Debian and as such I feel that it is probably the best choice.

--
Tommy Butler
tommy@???