[exim] Authentication broken after upgrade

Author: Mike Oliveri
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Authentication broken after upgrade
Hi all,

I'm running FreeBSD 4.9 and just upgraded to Exim 4.43 via FreeBSD's ports
system (listed as Exim-4.43+28 in ports). I build it with the PWCHECK option
compiled in by running make -DWITH_PWCHECK so it will allow PWCHECK via
cyrus-pwcheck function per the instructions at
http://www.munk.nu/exim/exim-freebsd-asmtp.php

Up until the upgrade, everthing worked fine. Today, my users simply cannot
authenticate. I upgraded both the cyrus-sasl packages and Exim last night. My
authenticators are as follows, which are also unchanged and come off of the
same web page above:

plain:
        driver = plaintext
        public_name = PLAIN
        server_condition = "${if pwcheck{$2:$3}{1}{0}}"

login:
        driver = plaintext
        public_name = LOGIN
        server_prompts = "Username:: : Password::"
        server_condition = "${if pwcheck{$1:$2}{1}{0}}"

Cyrus was built with the PWCHECK option, and the daemon is running.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. If there's a new authentication
system I should be using instead (I saw PWCHECK labeled as deprecated in the
Exim port Makefile), then if there's a resource/guide for setting that up,
please let me know.

Sincerely,
Mike Oliveri
moliveri@???